Project: Lake Simcoe - Agriculture
Funded by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, the Lake Simcoe - Agriculture project engaged key agricultural and rural stakeholders within the Lake Simcoe Watershed to gather information to help inform the development of the Climate Change Adaptation Strategy for Lake Simcoe, seek areas of opportunity and identify gaps.
Workshop - Agriculture in a Changing Climate Workshop
In August 2011, the Ontario Centre for Climate Impacts and Adaptation Resources (OCCIAR), together with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) developed and delivered a climate change adaptation information workshop. The goals of the workshop were to begin a discussion and raise awareness of climate change and its implications to the agricultural sector; provide examples and case studies of adaptation; provide guidance to how current agriculture programs can be adapted to climate adaption practices, and to discuss challenges and approaches for incorporating adaptation and mitigation into future programs. The workshop consisted of a series of presentations made by experts in the field of climate change adaptation and agriculture.
- Changing Weather, Changing Climate - climate science and potential impacts on agriculture and other sectors in Ontario
Al Douglas - Ontario Centre for Climate Impacts and Adaptation Resources (OCCIAR)
- Weather Impacts - Spring2011
Chris Brown, OMAFRA
- Nutrient Management: Best Management Practices to Adapt to Extreme Rainfall Events
Dr. Bonnie Ball & Dave Bray, OMAFRA
- A Changing Climate - Viticultural Challenges and Opportunities in Niagara
Wendy McFadden - Smith, OMAFRA
- Assessing Vulnerability to Climate Change in the Lake - Simcoe Watershed
Jackie McCall, OMAFRA
- Current Efforts to Adapt to Changing Weather
Don McCabe - Ontario Federation of Agriculture
- Business Risk Management Programs
Gail Simkus - Agricorp
- Responding to Climate and Weather Impacts: Building Resilience Through Existing Programs
Harold Rudy - Ontario Soil and Crop Improvement
- Opportunities for Sustainable Outcomes from Agricultural Climate Adaptation
Brian Gilvesy - Y U Ranch
Workshop ReportAgriculture in a Changing Climate Workshop Report
This report captures the results of the various presentations and summarizes the facilitated discussions where participants discussed the path forward, roles and responsibilities.